Find a doctor or nurse practitioner
How to find a family doctor, nurse practitioner or specialist and details about the Health Care Connect program.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Find a family doctor or nurse practitioner
A family doctor or nurse practitioner is your primary health care provider – meaning they are the person you make an appointment with when you have a new, non-emergency health concern. You can learn more about their services below.
Visits to a doctor or nurse practitioner are publicly funded – meaning you don’t have to pay.
Here are two options to find a family doctor or nurse practitioner who is accepting new patients:
- Register with our Health Care Connect service and have a nurse find a doctor or nurse practitioner for you.
- Use The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario’s Find a Doctor search.
- choose “Advanced Search” to find a doctor near you (by city/town or postal code)
- click on “Additional Search Options” to narrow your search (to family doctors and/or language spoken)
- contact the doctor to check if they are accepting new patients
What family doctors and nurse practitioners can do
A family doctor and a nurse practitioner can provide:
- diagnosis and treatment for common illnesses and injuries
- referrals to health care specialists who can help with a specific condition
- support in managing a chronic condition (such as diabetes or high blood pressure)
- prescriptions for medication
- regular check-ups including physicals and routine screening tests (e.g., for cancer)
Learn more about nurse practitioner-led clinics.
Have a nurse find you a doctor or nurse practitioner through Health Care Connect
Register for Health Care Connect and a nurse will search for a doctor or nurse practitioner who is accepting new patients in your community.
Or register by phone at
About 88% of people who join the program find a family health care provider this way, however, joining Health Care Connect does not guarantee that:
- a family health care provider will be found for you – those who need urgent care will be placed with a family health care provider first
- one family health care provider can take your whole family
See a detailed breakdown, by region and level of health need, that shows who has found a family health care provider through Heath Care Connect.
Who can use the program
To use Health Care Connect, you must:
- not currently have a family health care provider (learn how to remove yourself from your current provider’s patient list)
- have a valid Ontario health card
- have an up-to-date mailing address associated with your health card (here’s how to update it if you need to)
How to join the program
You can sign up for yourself and your whole family or for someone else (with written permission).
To sign up for the program, you’ll be asked for your name, health card number and some basic health information that will help determine your health needs.
There are two ways you can give this information and sign up:
Your request will be given to a Health Care Connect nurse in your community and they will:
- review your request
- try to find you the right family health care provider in your community who is accepting new patients
- contact you if a provider is found for you, and give you their contact information
Contact the provider that’s been found for you as soon as possible – if you choose not to make them your provider and want Health Care Connect to keep looking, you will have to register again.
If you currently have a family health care provider
You can only join Health Care Connect if you don’t have a family health care provider. If you would like to use Health Care Connect to switch to a new family health care provider, you must first take yourself off the patient list of your current one. There are two ways to do this:
- contact your family health care provider directly
- call ServiceOntario –
1-888-218-9929( TTY: 1-800-387-5559)
Find a doctor by name or specialty
Visit the sites below if you are looking for a specialist in a particular field.
- Search by name, location and specialty on the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario’s All doctors search
- Find a nurse by name or registration number, by the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Dentist search, by the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario
- Find an optometrist, by the College of Optometrists of Ontario
- List of colleges for all regulated health professions in Ontario
- Find other types of health services near you
For health care professionals
To join Health Care Connect or speak with the Care Connector in your community, contact your local Home and Community Care Support Services organization.