Free family fishing
Dates that Canadian residents can fish for free in Ontario.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Fish for free
Four times a year, Canadian residents can fish in Ontario for free. This means you do not need to buy a fishing licence if you want to fish during:
- Family Fishing Weekend (February 17–19, 2024)
- Mother’s Day Weekend (May 11–12, 2024)
- Father’s Day Weekend (June 15–16, 2024)
- Family Fishing Week (June 29–July 7, 2024)
Follow fishing rules
Free fishing periods remind us of the value of Ontario’s recreational fishery, and the importance of keeping it healthy for future generations. While fishing you must:
- follow conservation licence catch limits
- obey size limits and sanctuaries
- follow the fishing regulations
- carry a permit or identification card issued by the provincial or federal government, showing your name and date of birth
Free loans for rods and reels
TackleShare loans out rods and reels for free. New anglers can gear up at locations across the province including:
- Ontario provincial parks
- conservation authorities
TackleShare is an Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters program supported by Ontario Power Generation.
Even city folks can fish. You’ll find fishing sites in many urban areas.