Current accommodation costs

Long-term care accommodation costs are set by the Ministry of Long-Term Care and are standard in all long-term care homes across Ontario. The current (maximum) rates are:

Accommodation rates (July 1, 2019)
Type of accommodationDaily rateMonthly rate
Long-stay Basic1$62.18 (a)$1,891.31 (b)
Long-stay Semi-private2$74.96 (Basic plus a maximum of $12.78)$2,280.04
Long-stay Private2$88.82 (Basic plus a maximum of $26.64)$2,701.61


  1. Effective from July 1, 2019, the basic accommodation rate is determined using the following formula:
    1. 2018 basic accommodation rate × (1 + CPI Rate) = 2019 co-payment rate.
      [ i.e., $60.78 × (1+1.2.3%) = $62.18 ]
    2. The monthly rate is determined by multiplying the daily rate by 30.4167.
      [ i.e., $62.18 × 30.4167 = $1,891.31 ]
  2. The maximum rate for semi-private or private accommodation in some long-term care homes can be less depending on the age and structure of the long-term care home.

Government subsidy

If you don't have enough income to pay for the basic room, you may be eligible for a subsidy through the Long-Term Care Home Rate Reduction Program.

If you qualify, you or a lawful representative must complete an application form and submit it to your long-term care home.

What's covered by the subsidy

If you qualify, you could get a subsidy of up to $1,891.31 a month to help you pay for basic long-term care accommodation.

Who qualifies

Whether or not you qualify for financial help depends on:

  • the type of accommodation you choose (only basic is covered – not private or semi-private)
  • your net income

You also need to be already receiving all of these federal and provincial benefits that you are eligible for:

How income is calculated

When reviewing your application, we consider your "net income" on line 236 of your most recent income tax notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency minus any:

  • taxes payable – line 435 on your notice of assessment
  • Universal Child Care Benefit payments
  • payments from a Registered Disability Savings Plan
  • death benefit payments from the Canada Pension Plan or Quebec Pension Plan
  • lump-sum income (for example, from your Registered Retirement Savings Plan or Old Age Security pension) you used to pay for:
  • income payable for a period when you were not receiving a long-term-care rate reduction, including:
    • employment income
    • split pension income from your spouse or common-law partner
    • Registered Retirement Savings Plan, Registered Retirement Income Fund or Life Income Fund,
    • Old Age Security/Guaranteed Income Supplement/Guaranteed Annual Income System lump-sum income
    • any other income that you no longer receive

If you do not have a notice of assessment you may still be eligible.

During our review, we also consider:

  • government benefits you are eligible for, even if you have not applied for them
  • other non-taxable income (for example, financial assistance from outside Canada, disability insurance from a private insurance company)
  • income from private sources

How to apply or re-apply

You must re-apply for a rate reduction each year. Whether you are applying for the first time or re-applying, the process is the same.

You will need to:

  • have access to information about all your sources of income
  • complete one of four main forms
  • complete additional forms if you are asking to keep income to support a dependent or involuntarily do not live with your partner
  • submit your forms to the long-term care home where you are applying for the rate reduction

Main forms

You will only need to fill out one of four main forms depending on your situation.

  1. If you receive support payments from the Ontario Disability Support Program, fill out the form for resident receiving ODSP.
  2. If you have been in a long-term care home for 1 year or less and do not have your notice of assessment, fill out the form for residents without proof of income.
  3. If you have one of the three proof-of-income documents and your benefits have been replaced by new benefits during or since your notice of assessment year (normally this happens the year you turn 65 but it may happen any time), fill out the form for residents transitioning to new government benefit.
  4. If you have one of the three proof-of-income documents and have not transitioned to new benefits during or since your notice of assessment year, fill out the form for residents with proof of income.

Acceptable proof-of-income documents are:

  1. notice of assessment – the document the Canada Revenue Agency sends you after you file your annual tax return that shows whether or not you get a refund
  2. proof of income statement – a simple version of your tax assessment that you can get through My Account on the Canada Revenue Agency website
  3. consent form – allows your long-term care home to get your proof-of-income information directly from the Canada Revenue Agency

Forms if you are supporting a dependent

Use one or more of these forms, as needed, to request to keep income because you support an eligible:

Statement if you involuntarily do not live with your partner

If you and your spouse or common-law partner do not live together for reasons beyond your control, you'll need to complete this Involuntary Separation Statement to maximize your pension benefits.

To qualify:

  • you must be over 65
  • your spouse or common-law partner must be:

Apply within 90 days of moving in

Your rate reduction will begin to apply for up to 90 days before the date you submit your application. To make sure you get the rate reduction for as many days as possible, be sure you apply within the first 90 days at your long-term care home.

Re-apply annually between July 1-September 28

Because your income can change, you have to re-apply to be eligible for assistance each year. The application period runs from July 1 to September 28. If you do not re-apply, your long-term care home can charge you the full cost for basic accommodation.

If you re-apply and qualify after the deadline, your reduced rate will begin to apply for up to 90 days before you submitted your application.

One exception: If you are already receiving a rate reduction the year you turn 65, you will have to re-apply within 30 days after your birthday because you will start receiving your Old Age Security pension.

Get help

For more information, or to get help filling out forms, speak to the staff at your long-term care home.

If you still have questions, email the ministry at (If you don't have access to email, call the Long-Term Care Family Support and Action Line at 1-866-434-0144.)