Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade
Supporting a strong, innovative economy that can provide jobs, opportunities and prosperity for all Ontarians.
We're helping to grow the economy and create good jobs. Find the resources you need to do business, work and invest in Ontario.
- Hiring incentives for employers
- Employment programs for people under 30
- Grants and training for students and young entrepreneurs
Learn about our economic immigration program designed to help Ontario meet its labour market and economic development priorities.
- Get support, information and advice to run your small business
- Small Business Enterprise Centre locations
- Automotive Sector Plan
Hire highly-skilled foreign workers faster
We’re a designated referral partner under Canada’s Global Skills Strategy. Find out if your business is eligible for faster work permit and labour market impact assessment processing times or other personalized services making it easier to hire top talent from around the world. Contact the OINP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Build a research team, find funding for international research projects, access programs and networks, and more.
Information about incoming buyers missions, exporter education seminars and workshops for Ontario businesses looking to export outside Canada.
What we do
- support job creation, innovation and economic growth for all Ontarians
- deliver a range of programs, services and tools to help businesses innovate and compete in today’s fast-changing global economy
- help make investing in Ontario more attractive for businesses, while protecting the public interest
- cut red tape by eliminating unnecessary regulations to make Ontario companies more competitive
- support the growth of small and medium-sized businesses so they can connect with new export markets and customers
- manage a network of international trade and investment offices in key markets around the world
- organize international business missions to increase export and investment opportunities for Ontario’s companies
- ensure Ontario’s interests are well-represented in all trade matters and negotiations (including CUSMA, CPTPP and CETA) and drive strategic investment and trade analysis
- drive internal trade by working bilaterally with other provinces and territories and by implementing the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA)
- develop and implement marketing strategies and tactics that favourably position the province’s key economic strengths and promote Ontario as the best place to invest, work, live and succeed
- develop strategies for priority industries and sectors in Ontario
- build strategic partnerships with leading companies and stakeholders within Ontario’s economy
- work with research partners in universities, colleges and hospitals, entrepreneurs and business leaders
- foster scientific discovery and commercialization of new technologies and products that can be marketed to the world
- harness Ontario’s talented workforce, entrepreneurial spirit and highly developed industry clusters
- promote economic immigration programs to attract skilled international talent
The ministry administers the following legislation:
- Ministry of Economic Development and Trade Act, 1990
- Development Corporations Act, 1990
- Partnerships for Growth Act, 2014
- Attracting Jobs and Investment Act, 2012
- Water Opportunities Act, 2010
- Ontario Capital Growth Corporation Act, 2008
- Ontario Small Business Investment Funds Act, 1992
- Ontario Immigration Act, 2018
Agencies, boards and commissions
The ministry is affiliated with the following independent agencies: