Learn about Ontario’s plan to provide families and industries with reliable, low-cost and clean power.
Your electricity bill
Ontario’s electricity system
What we do
- Oversees the regulatory framework for electricity pricing and develops policies to mitigate energy prices for Ontario consumers and businesses.
- Supports energy efficiency and conservation.
- Supports the growth of clean technology and innovation in the electricity sector.
- Engages with Indigenous partners, local distribution companies, transmission companies and energy agencies in energy sector decisions.
- Drives efficiencies and performance for consumers.
Agencies, boards and commissions
The ministry is affiliated with the following independent agencies:
The ministry administers the following legislation:
- Electricity Act, 1998
- Energy Consumer Protection Act, 2010
- Federal Carbon Tax Transparency Act, 2019
- Hydro One Accountability Act, 2018
- Hydro One Inc. Directors and Officers Act, 2002
- Ministry of Energy Act, 2011
- Ontario Clean Energy Benefit Act, 2010
- Ontario Energy Board Act, 1998
- Ontario Fair Hydro Plan Act, 2017
- Ontario Rebate for Electricity Consumers Act, 2016
- Toronto District Heating Corporation Act, 1998
- White Pines Wind Project Termination Act, 2018
- Power Corporation Act
Updated: November 07, 2023
Published: April 16, 2018