The Government of Ontario continues to accept 2022 energy and water usage data until October 31, 2023.


Energy and water usage can represent some of the largest operating costs in your building. Ontario’s Energy and Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB) initiative can help you:

  • save money by tracking usage
  • identify energy and water efficiency opportunities
  • compare your energy and water usage to similar buildings

Who needs to report

Under the Reporting of Energy Consumption and Water Use regulation, large building owners need to report their building’s energy and water use once a year to the Ministry of Energy by:

  • July 1 for buildings 50,000 square feet and larger

Reporting exemptions

Your building may qualify for an exemption from reporting.

If you qualify, submit an exemption form to the Ministry of Energy.

The Guide to Energy and Water Reporting will help you determine if you need to report or are eligible for an exemption.

What you need to report

If you are required to report your building’s water and energy usage, you will need to provide:

  • Your building information. This will produce accurate energy and water usage data.
  • Your EWRB ID. This is a unique six-digit number assigned to your property by the Ministry of Energy. If you are reporting multiple buildings on a property individually, they will need their own EWRB ID.
  • Your usage data. You need to report the usage data for all forms of energy that your building uses (for example, electricity, natural gas, diesel, fuel oil) and water for the reporting year (January 1 to December 31).

Read more on collecting information you need to report.

How to report

  1. Log in or register for an account on the Portfolio Manager website and enter your information and data for all your buildings.
  2. If your building is 100,000 square feet or larger, you will need to have a certified professional verify your reported information before submitting. Your data will need to be verified your first year of reporting, then every subsequent five years. Read more on verification requirements.
  3. Submit your report on the Portfolio Manager EWRB page. Follow instructions on the reporting page and save the confirmation email for your records.

Go to the Guide to Submitting Data Through Portfolio Manager for Ontario’s Energy and Water Reporting and Benchmarking Initiative for instructions on how to enter and submit your data.

Stay informed

If you own or represent a building that needs to report, the best way to stay informed about EWRB is to update your organization’s EWRB Reporting Lead contact information. Keeping this information current is the best way to ensure you receive EWRB notification emails and other essential information, including your building’s EWRB ID number.

Contact us

If you have a question, please contact EWRB Support at 1-844-274-0689 or