The Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (OPGT):

  • makes financial decisions for adults who have been found mentally incapable
  • acts as Substitute Decision Maker (SDM) of last resort to make substitute treatment or long-term care admission decisions for incapable individuals
  • holds funds in trust for minors and plaintiffs and defendants involved in a lawsuit
  • administers estates when no one else is available to do so
  • protects the public’s interest in charities and dissolved corporations
  • provides other services to protect the financial, legal and personal care of mentally incapable Ontarians

We function in accordance with the Public Guardian and Trustee Act and other laws, including the Substitute Decision Act, 1992.

If you suspect that a person may be incapable and at risk of harm, abuse or neglect, call the OPGT’s Investigations line at 416-327-6348 or Toll Free 1-844-640-3615.

Mental capacity

Learn about mental capacity, how it is evaluated, who evaluates it and how to appeal a finding of incapacity.

Make a power of attorney

Learn about appointing someone you trust to make important financial and health care decisions on your behalf.


Learn about different types of guardianship for mentally incapable adults and how to replace the Public Guardian and Trustee.

Protecting minors

Learn how the OPGT holds funds in trust for some minors and the role of the Office of the Children’s Lawyer.

Administering estates

Learn about how property and possession are handled after someone dies, including what happens with or without a will.

Charities in Ontario

Learn about charitable property in Ontario, including the OPGTs role in protecting public interest, the duty of directors and trustees and how to make a complaint about possible misuse of charitable property.

Dealing with dissolved corporations

Learn what happens to corporations in Ontario when they no longer exist, and how to recover property from a dissolved corporation.

Estate planning and wills

Learn about estate planning and preparing a will to transfer your property and money to specific people or charities after death.

Cemetery owners’ perpetual care funds

Cemetery owners in Ontario must have perpetual care funds for the ongoing care and maintenance of cemetery grounds and monuments.

As a cemetery owner in Ontario, you may choose to have the OPGT act as trustee of your perpetual care trust funds. The OPGT will give you the net annual income earned on these funds for you to use towards any maintenance costs. 

For more information on the OPGT’s role in perpetual care funds, email OPGT.Cemetery.Trust.Queries@Ontario.ca.

Provide feedback or submit a complaint

The OPGT is committed to providing accessible and timely service and follows all Ontario Public Service accessibility policies. We welcome feedback about meeting standards and providing a client-focused service to improve service delivery.

If you would like to provide feedback to the OPGT, you can do so through any one of the local offices by:

  • visiting in person
  • calling
  • writing

All feedback is reviewed by an OPGT staff member. If the feedback is a complaint about the service standards, staff will attempt to respond immediately. If you are not satisfied with the response, the complaint will be heard by the manager of the related OPGT business unit who will respond within ten business days.

OPGT resources and annual financial statements

Visit Publications Ontario to access the free power of attorney kit, the OPGT’s annual reports and all brochures and forms.

Review the OPGT’s annual financial statement reports:

Review the OPGT’s annual reports at Publications Ontario.

If you require this information in an alternative format, please contact OPGT@ontario.ca. We will:

  • acknowledge your request within three business days
  • provide you with the content within 15 business days

OPGT offices and contacts

If you need to serve or provide documents for a court proceeding to the Public Guardian and Trustee, you can send them:

Important: Use the above addresses if the rules require you to leave documents with the Public Guardian and Trustee.
Learn more about serving documents on the government.