Farm vehicles are used for the transportation of farm products, commodities, supplies, equipment, and building and maintenance items owned by the farmer. Farm plated trucks and towed trailers may also be used for a farmer’s personal transportation.

If you are buying a new vehicle from a dealership, the vehicle registration will usually be completed by the dealer.

If you are buying a used vehicle, you will need to register the vehicle within 6 days of the sale at a ServiceOntario centre.

What you get

When you register a farm vehicle, you will get:

  • a vehicle permit,
  • licence plate, and
  • a licence plate sticker

Register a farm vehicle

You can register a vehicle with a farm plate if you:

Register at a ServiceOntario centre

To register a vehicle and get a permit and licence plate, you need to bring the following original documents to a ServiceOntario centre:

You must register your name as the new owner of the vehicle within 6 days of the purchase.

To register the vehicle, you need to visit a ServiceOntario centre and bring the following:

  • proof of insurance
  • your Ontario Driver’s Licence
  • used vehicle information package (UVIP) (not required if vehicle has an empty weight of more than 2200 kg)
  • bill of Sale (you can use the bottom of the used vehicle information package, as there is a section specifically for this)
  • Safety Standards Certificate (SSC), if applicable
  • owner’s permit with the completed Application for Transfer portion on the back
  • odometer reading information
  • the plate portion of the permit (if you are already have a farm licence plate you wish to use)
  • membership card from one of the following accredited farm organizations:
    • the Ontario Federation of Agriculture (OFA)
    • the Christian Farmers' Federation of Ontario (CFFO), or
    • the National Farmers Union-Ontario (NFU-O)
  • a letter from Agricorp indicating you have a valid Farm Business Registration (FBR) number;
  • a letter from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) Appeal Tribunal indicating religious exemption;
  • a valid Gross Farm Income Exemption letter from OMAFRA, or a valid Confirmation of Approval or Income Exemption Confirmation from Agricorp;
  • a letter from the Indian Agricultural Program of Ontario (IAPO) confirming the individual meets the income threshold to be recognized as a farmer, or;
  • a letter from a First Nations’ Chief and/or Council on letterhead, confirming the individual meets the income threshold to be recognized as a farmer.

Note: Names on all membership cards and letters must match vehicle registrant name on the vehicle permit. Except in some cases where it may be issued to the farm name. Please contact us for more information.

Find a ServiceOntario centre

You may be able to book an appointment ahead of your visit.

What’s a Safety Standards Certificate?

How do I know if I need an emissions test?

Cost and Delivery


You need to pay fees to register your vehicle. Fees vary based on location, vehicle class, and renewal term. See a full list of fees.

Retail sales tax (if applicable) for the sale of the vehicle will be collected when you register.

Any outstanding fines in the licence plate holder’s name will be applied in addition to the above fees.


Visa, Mastercard, debit, cash, certified cheque


Vehicle permits and farm licence plates are issued immediately.


You need to renew your licence plate sticker prior to expiry at a ServiceOntario centre.

You will need to bring the following with you:

  • your licence plate number
  • your vehicle permit
  • proof of insurance
  • a vehicle emissions pass report or a conditional pass report may also be required

Renew your sticker

Information Changes

Your vehicle permit needs to be updated within 6 days of a change in your address or if details from your vehicle permit change (e.g. colour, name, registered gross weight, etc.).

Change your address

Find a ServiceOntario centre

Insurance coverage

By law, you must insure a vehicle if you plan to drive it in Ontario. You must have this insurance before you can:

  • attach licence plates to a vehicle
  • renew your registration
  • buy a temporary (trip) permit

In Ontario, you buy this insurance from a private insurance company. You will receive a pink insurance card from your insurance company. This card shows proof of insurance for the vehicle you are driving.

When driving your own or someone else’s vehicle in Ontario, you must have the pink insurance card with you at all times.

If you are stopped by a police officer while driving, you must show your pink insurance card when asked. If you do not, you can be fined up to $400.

Contact us

If you need more information please call us Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at: