Wait times in Ontario
Understanding how long you might need to wait for certain medical services can be complicated.
We’re here to help. Get information and advice about wait times in Ontario.
Wait times we track
We track and report how long Ontarians have waited:
to see a surgical specialist and to get surgery
for diagnostic imaging (CT and MRI)
in emergency departments
Learn, for each type of wait:
- when you can expect to wait
- what the numbers mean
- why some numbers are not available
- options for reducing your wait time
How understanding the wait process helps you
Patients are put on a wait list when the number of people who need treatment is greater than the number of appointments, doctors or equipment available to provide that treatment.
Understanding how wait times work in Ontario can help you in three key ways:
- Control. Estimating when the service you need will happen means you don’t have to put your life on hold.
- Awareness. Seeing how the wait time at your hospital compares to other Ontario hospitals means you can have a better-informed conversation with your family doctor about your options.
- Peace of mind. Understanding why you may need to wait can help put you at ease because your wait time will be appropriate for your condition.
Updated: November 22, 2022
Published: December 18, 2017