Changes to the 2012 Building Code
Updates to Building Code regulations that will be in effect by January 2020 and January 2022.
On May 2, 2019, amendments to Ontario’s Building Code were filed to better align with the 2015 National Construction Codes. The amendments were made through Ontario Regulations 87/19 and 88/19.
The Building Code amendments covered in this guide come into effect on three dates:
- May 2, 2019
- A correction regarding a particular septic technology in the Building Code, known as chamber systems.
- Removing provisions related to electric vehicle charging infrastructure in houses and non-residential large buildings, such as workplaces.
- January 1, 2020
- All other amendments with the exception of requirements related to stairs, guards and handrails.
- January 1, 2022
- Amendments related to stairs, guards and handrails.
Throughout the guide, we note whether an update is already in effect, or will be in effect in January 1, 2022. Where there is no note on date, the update will be in effect on January 1, 2020.
Types of changes
The amendments outlined in this guide have all been classified into the following categories:
- New: new requirements in Ontario’s Building Code, including updates to existing requirements and/or referenced standards.
- Clarification: existing provisions that have been modified for editorial or clarification purposes.
- Reorganization: existing provisions that have been relocated to other areas in Ontario’s Building Code.
- Deletion: requirements that have been removed.