Apply to become a registered Air Operator
If you're an Air Operator, apply to register on Ontario’s Eligibility List. Being on the list means you are eligible to be hired to provide Services to the province.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Invitation to Air Operators to apply for registration on the Eligibility List.
- Air Operator applicants should appreciate that inclusion or registration on the Eligibility List is not based on the province, territory or country of their residence or domicile. We invite all interested Air Operators to apply for registration on its Eligibility List. All capitalized terms in this invitation have the same meaning as given to them in the Ontario standards and requirements for registered air operators revision #5.
Services that may be procured by Ontario from Air Operators as a result of being registered on the Eligibility List directly or indirectly (as a subcontractor to a Third Party Supplier):
The following is a list of Services that may be requested by Ontario to be provided by Air Operators on the Eligibility List:
The ministry fire program may include:
- detection/loaded patrol/human patrol/light human patrol/lightning patrol
- aerial ignition
- bird dog
- evacuation (fire related)
- transport (on behalf of the fire program)
- firebombing or bucketing
- quick strike
Resource Management and Air Transportation
Services (other than those relating to the ministry fire program) may include:
- aerial survey
- animal capture
- caribou habitat
- fish stocking
- moose plot/transect/survey
- aerial photography
- rabies baiting
- radio telemetry
- resource management
- transport cargo
- transport passengers
- other training
- wildlife habitat
- executive transport
From time to time several Ontario ministries and less frequently Third Party Suppliers may require Services from an Air Operator. The vast majority of Ontario Air Operator hires will be made by the ASC. Other Ontario ministries and occasionally Third Party Suppliers may also hire Air Operators to provide Services provided the ASC confirms that the applicable Air Operator is then registered on the Eligibility List.
Air Operators should understand that the Eligibility List may be used by Ontario for procurement of the Services.
Conditions To be Satisfied by Air Operator Applicants for Registration on the Eligibility List:
- An Air Operator which wants to be registered on the Eligibility List shall contact the ASC to request an application to be registered on the Eligibility List. The ASC will forward the applicable documents to the Air Operator to complete and return to the ASC.
- The Air Operator must duly complete and return the required documents to the ASC, including current proof of required insurance.
- The Air Operator must agree to comply with all applicable requirements of The Standards in connection with providing any Services that the Air Operator may wish to provide by executing and returning to the ASC the then current ministry Acknowledgement and Agreement form.
- An audit of the Air Operator by the Aviation Safety Section (or its designate) to determine if the Air Operator meets all applicable requirements of The Standards in connection with providing any Services that the Air Operator may wish to provide must be satisfactorily completed.
An Air Operator that believes it meets these conditions may apply for registration at any time.
Methods to be used by the ministry to verify an Air Operator applicant satisfies the conditions in B:
After verifying that the required documents (including current proof of required insurance) relating to an Air Operator’s application to be registered on the Eligibility List have been duly completed by and received from the Air Operator, the Aviation Safety Section shall review the documents and contact the Air Operator to schedule an audit of the Air Operator to determine if the Air Operator meets all applicable requirements of The Standards in connection with providing any Services that the Air Operator may wish to provide.
The ministry shall inform an Air Operator applicant of the decision by the ministry with respect to its application within a reasonably short time after the Air Operator audit has been completed by the Aviation Safety Section (or its designate). If as a result of the audit the Air Operator was found to meet all such requirements, the ministry will register the Air Operator on the Eligibility List and provide the Air Operator with written confirmation of its registration. However, if the Air Operator was found not to meet any of such requirements, the ministry will advise the Air Operator of any such requirement(s) not met by the Air Operator applicant.
Ontario Contact Information to Allow Air Operator Applicants to Obtain All Relevant Documents Relating to Registration on the Eligibility List:
Requests by Air Operators for relevant documents relating to registration on the Eligibility List should be sent to the ASC located at 70 Foster Drive, Suite 400 Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6A 6V5, telephone
Upon request by any party, Ontario will provide that party with the requested tender notice.
Method by which Notice will be Given of the Termination of the Use of the Eligibility List:
The ministry shall advise by email all then registered Air Operators of its decision to terminate the use of the Eligibility List and post a notice of termination on the following webpage which contains the most recent Eligibility List of registered Air Operators:
You can read the Ontario standards and requirements for registered air operators revision #5.