Education funding, 2022-23
Learn about government funding for school boards. School boards can find information on this year's grants and links to information about education funding from previous years.
On this page Skip this page navigation
2022-23 Grants for Student Needs (GSN)
The Ministry of Education provides information about GSN funding to school boards through memoranda to the sector.
- Memorandum 2022 B02: Learning Recovery Action Plan (PDF)
- Memorandum 2022 B03: 2022-23 Grants for Student Needs funding (GSN) (PDF)
- Memorandum 2022 B04: Capital funding for the 2022-23 school year (PDF)
- Memorandum 2022: B05: 2022-23 Priorities and Partnerships Funding (PPF) (PDF)
- Appendix A – 2022-23 Priorities and Partnerships Funding allocations (PDF)
- Appendix B – Transfer Payment Ontario (TPON) System (PDF)
- Memorandum 2022 SB04: Student transportation – Grants for Student Needs 2022-23 (PDF)
- Memorandum 2022 SB08: Special Education Grant changes for 2022-23 (PDF)
- Memorandum 2022 SB11: 2022-23 Student Mental Well-Being allocation (PDF)
Grants for Student Needs projections for the 2022-23 school year
Find tables containing projected board-by-board allocations of the Grants for Student Needs (GSN) including other related information for the 2022-23 school year. The funding projections have been prepared by the Ministry of Education and are based on enrolment and other data provided by school boards.
The tables also contain board-by-board allocations from prior years.
The Technical paper 2022-23 contains:
- an overview of the grant formulas
- the details of the grant formulas
- other criteria for education funding through the Grants for Student Needs (GSN)
These are used to calculate school boards’ 2022-23 allocations for budgeting and financial reporting purposes.
Addendum to the 2022-23 technical paper: education funding modifications for isolate board school authorities
In Ontario, there are four isolate board school authorities which require modified funding formulas due to their unique circumstances, including the remoteness of their locations and that each isolate board operates only one school. These isolate boards are:
- James Bay Lowlands Secondary School Board (SSB)
- Moose Factory Island District School Area Board (DSAB)
- Moosonee District School Area Board (DSAB)
- Penetanguishene Protestant Separate School Board (PSSB)
Funding for the four isolate boards follows the same methodology as outlined in the technical paper with the specific modifications that are outlined in this addendum.
2022-23 Education funding: a guide to the Special Education Grant
This guide provides an overview of special education and how it is funded in Ontario.
Special education funding guidelines: Special Equipment Amount (SEA), 2022-23
The Special Equipment Amount (SEA) guidelines outline the purpose of SEA funding, the eligibility criteria, SEA funding processes and reporting requirements for school boards.
Special education funding guidelines: Special Incidence Portion (SIP), 2022-23
The Special Incidence Portion (SIP) guidelines outline the purpose of SIP funding, the eligibility criteria, funding processes and reporting requirements for school boards.
Implementation criteria for the Learning Opportunities Grant (LOG)
This document provides information on how funding can be spent within the targeted student supports envelope and the experiential learning envelope of the Learning Opportunities Grant.
Reciprocal education approach
- O. Reg. 396/22: Grants for Student Needs – Legislative Grants for the 2022-23 school board fiscal year
- O. Reg. 397/22: calculation of fees for pupils for the 2022-23 school board fiscal year
- List of schools eligible for rural and northern education fund allocation, revised April 2022
- District school board and school authority tangible capital assets: provincial accounting policies and implementation guide, revised April 2022
- The Ontario curriculum: secondary
- The Ministry of Education Uniform Code of Accounts, Revised April 2022
- Contact us for Geographic adjustment factors – school facility specific, May 2015
- Contact us for variable area per pupil benchmark table, May 2015
- Contact us for user guide for the school facilities inventory system application, dated November 2009
- Memorandum 2018 SB05: Cash Management strategy
- Memorandum 2018 SB19: Cash Management strategy – proceeds of disposition
- Supplementary application form for enhanced education and treatment (EET) Programs
- Application form for an Education and Community partnership program for 2022-23 (ECPP)
- Ontario schools, kindergarten to grade 12: Policy and Program requirements, 2016
- Memorandum 2021 B12: COVID-19 Resilience Infrastructure stream: education related (CVRIS-EDU) projects – approvals
- Contact us for the report of the Pupil Accommodation Review Committee, dated August 1998
If you require this information in an alternative format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will:
- acknowledge your request within 3 business days
- provide you with the content within 15 business days
- 2021-22 Education funding
- 2020-21 Education funding
- 2019-20 Education funding
- 2018-19 Education funding
For funding information from prior years please contact email@example.com.