Fish research licence
How to get a licence to collect fish for scientific or educational purposes.
By law, you need to have a licence to collect fish for scientific or education purposes in Ontario.
How to apply
To get a licence:
- download, complete and sign the application for a licence to collect fish for scientific purposes
- gather the following support documents:
- an outline of the proposed project or collection, including the project objectives and rationale
- a letter from the educational institution supporting your research (if applicable)
- a risk assessment questionnaire (available from your local district office) if your collection is within the viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS) or the Lake Simcoe management zones
- submit your licence application and support documents to your local Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry office
You need to report your fish collection activities to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry on or before the date specified on your licence.
Contact the office that issued your licence for a copy of the most recent electronic mandatory reporting tool.