Forest Sector Investment and Innovation Program
Funding for manufacturers and processors of wood products across Ontario.
On this page Skip this page navigation
About the program
The Forest Sector Investment and Innovation Program (FSIIP) provides funding for strategic investments in the forest sector that:
- improve productivity and innovation
- enhance competitiveness
- support new market access
- provide benefits to Ontario’s broader forest sector
- strengthen regional economies
Support is available under two project categories – business projects and collaboration projects.
This page is a brief overview of the FSIIP. Find complete eligibility and application information in the FSIIP program guidelines.
Support is available for projects with at least $3 million in eligible costs undertaken by for-profit manufacturers and processors of wood and forest biomass across Ontario, including:
- saw mills
- pulp and paper mills
- secondary wood manufacturers
- bio-economy projects
Harvesting and resource extraction projects are not eligible for funding.
Support is available for Ontario-based projects with at least $3 million in eligible costs undertaken through a collaboration of:
- forest sector for-profit businesses
- not-for-profit research organizations
- forest industry associations
Eligible collaborations should develop, diversify and transform Ontario’s forest sector through innovation in technology, process and/or products.
A minimum of three partners are required (including at least one Ontario-based for-profit forestry/wood products company).
You can receive funding support of up to 30% of eligible costs in the form of a performance-based loan (of which, up to 50% may be forgivable).
Grants of up to 15% of eligible costs may be considered in exceptional situations at the discretion of the province.
Stacking with other provincial funding programs is not allowed. Stacking with other government support (for example, federal or municipal) is allowed to a maximum of 50% of eligible project costs.
You can receive funding support of up to 30% of eligible costs in the form of a grant to a maximum of $3 million.
Stacking with other government funding programs (for example, federal, provincial and municipal) is allowed to a maximum of 75% of eligible project costs.
To be selected for funding, projects must:
- demonstrate strong alignment with the program’s objectives, which are to:
- enhance productivity and competitiveness
- increase innovation
- create greater market access for Ontario firms
- improve the competitiveness of Ontario’s broader forest sector
- strengthen regional economies
- demonstrate need for government financial support to complete the project and have sufficient funding to complete the project (when combined with proposed support from FSIIP).
- pass a two-stage project evaluation process:
- Stage I: project overview to determine whether project meets eligibility criteria and assessment of how well the project aligns with the objectives of the program
- Stage II: competitive, rounds-based project evaluation process, including financial and technical due diligence
Funding is approved through a competitive rounds-based process. Although a project may meet all program objectives and criteria, there is no guarantee it will be approved, as there may be other projects submitted that more effectively meet program objectives and criteria.
How to apply
FSIIP will follow an open, competitive rounds-based application process.
Submissions will be accepted continually, but only those received by the current Stage I deadline will be considered to move on to the upcoming round of evaluations. However, Stage I applications that do not meet the current deadline will be considered in the next round.
To apply, login to Transfer Payment Ontario and complete the Stage I Eligibility Checklist and Application Form.
Applicants who have successfully passed Stage I should submit a fully completed Stage II Business Plan and all required supplemental documents by the Stage II deadline. All required information must be provided. Please note that incomplete or missing information may result in your application being declined or deferred to a following round.
Complete eligibility and application information is available in the FSIIP program guidelines.
If you have any further questions, or require assistance, please contact us.
- Stage I: June 16, 2023
- Stage II: July 24, 2023
- Stage I: September 15, 2023
- Stage II: October 23, 2023
- Stage I: December 15, 2023
- Stage II: January 24, 2024
- Stage I: March 15, 2024
- Stage II: April 23, 2024
- Stage I: June 21, 2024
- Stage II: July 29, 2024
- Stage I: September 20, 2024
- Stage II: October 28, 2024
- Stage I: December 20, 2024
- Stage II: January 29, 2025
- Stage I: March 21, 2025
- Stage II: April 29, 2025
For information regarding the Forest Sector Investment and Innovation Program please contact the Business Development Branch by: