Local food in Ontario
Learn about tools, resources and programs that support the province’s local food economy.
Local food is at the heart of Ontario’s agri-food industry. Ontario has a rich history of agriculture and 60% of food produced here is consumed right in Ontario.
Buying and supporting local food creates jobs and economic growth, and local food businesses are a major contributor to the province's economic well-being.
Shop local and celebrate Local Food Week the first week of every June.
Local food near you
Learn about the local foods grown in Ontario, see what’s in season and find recipes.
Find a restaurant near you serving Ontario food on their menu.
For businesses and organizations
Tax credit for Ontario farmers who donate agricultural products to eligible community food programs.
Learn how you can get a certificate of recognition for tracking and reporting on your local food purchases.
Online platform for connecting vendors with other businesses and consumers interested in purchasing local food.
For schools and educators
Local Food Act
The Local Food Act, 2013, was created to:
- help foster successful and resilient local food economies and systems
- help increase awareness of local food and diversity of it
- develop new markets for local food
Goals and targets
Learn about Ontario’s goals and targets to improve food literacy with respect to local food.
Learn about Ontario’s goals and targets to increase access to local food.
Learn about Ontario’s goals and targets to increase the procurement of local food by public sector institutions.
Local food reports
Learn about the people, businesses and organizations successfully working to strengthen Ontario’s local food economy.
- Ontario's local food report, 2023 edition
- Ontario's local food report, 2021 edition
- Ontario’s local food report, 2020 edition
- Ontario’s local food report, 2018–2019 edition
- Ontario’s local food report, 2016–2017 edition
- Ontario’s local food report, 2015–2016 edition
- Ontario’s local food report, 2014–2015 edition