The new Ontario Business Registry – Fact sheet
Learn how the Ontario Business Registry will offer simpler, faster and better solutions to businesses and not-for-profit corporations.
On this page Skip this page navigation
On October 19, 2021 the Ontario government launched a new business registry. This modern online service makes it easier and more affordable for millions of businesses and not-for-profit corporations to access Ontario government services such as registering a business, incorporating a not-for-profit, and filing an annual return.
For the first time ever, people across the province have direct access to over 90 services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and will be able to complete electronic transactions immediately, rather than through the mail or by fax.
For instance, registrations or filings that were previously submitted by mail or fax, taking four to six weeks to complete, can now be done instantly through the online registry.
To support Ontario’s post-pandemic economic recovery, we’re ensuring businesses can access the services they need quickly and efficiently in order to reduce their costs and allow them to focus their time and energy on rebuilding.
The previous system was built nearly 30 years ago and ran on outdated technology. The new Ontario Business Registry replaces this cumbersome system and meet the needs of our modern economy and rapidly expanding digital world.
The new business registry
- Makes it easier to register and maintain businesses, as well as comply with government filing requirements through a streamlined digital channel.
- Saves time by providing many government products and services immediately, and convenient alternatives to time- consuming, paper-based processes.
- Reduces burden and costs for Ontario businesses through streamlined fees, free searches, and consolidated search products.
Features included in the business registry
- Over 90 services available online 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Instant service with documents and transaction receipts emailed right to you.
- Validation features to help users move along securely and error-free.
- Pre-populated provisions for faster incorporation of businesses that aren’t publicly traded.
- Automatic email reminders to keep track of upcoming filings.
- Enhanced search functions that allow free online searches and consolidated search products, which eliminate the need for multiple documents.
- Simplified incorporation and maintenance of not-for-profit corporations online through the proclamation of the Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, 2010.
- Scannable QR codes allow for real-time verification of businesses.
- Continued integration with Service Providers ESC Corporate Services Ltd. and ecore by Dye & Durham Corporation to support business continuity.
Madalitso is a small business owner looking to incorporate on his own. To avoid the weeks-long wait time of a mail-in process, he takes time to work – during business hours – to travel to Toronto to complete registration in person.
With the new Ontario Business Registry, Madalitso can register online, at his convenience, and receive immediate confirmation by email. Madalitso can choose to complete annual filings, change his business address, or complete over 90 other transactions 24 hours a day, 365 days a year without leaving the office and taking time away from his work.
Gee is setting up a yoga studio and is looking to ensure that there are no other businesses operating with the name she has chosen. Gee is unsure of the difference between five report options and, to cover all her bases, orders and pays for multiple certificates.
With the new Ontario Business Registry, Gee can order one certified document at 40% of the cost: the Certificate of No Match, which consolidates five documents offered previously. Gee receives the document instantly via email, saving time and money.
To stay up to date on new information about the Ontario Business Registry, sign up at Ontario.ca/BusinessRegistry.