Ontario Research Fund: Research Infrastructure
How to apply for funding to help cover the costs of research infrastructure, for example, renovating facilities, purchasing equipment etc.
On this page Skip this page navigation
How it works
The Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure provides research institutions with funding to help support infrastructure needs, such as modern facilities and equipment.
Both the Ontario government and the Canada Foundation for Innovation provide funding.
You need to apply to both programs at the same time.
The Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure is divided into three funds:
- helps cover the costs of building/renovating and equipping facilities to conduct collaborative academic research
- co-funds with the Innovation Fund through the Canada Foundation for Innovation
- helps cover the costs of acquiring/renewing research equipment (e.g., specimens, scientific collections, computer software, information databases)
- co-funds with the John R. Evans Leaders Fund through the Canada Foundation for Innovation
- helps cover the costs of building, renovating and equipping research facilities to promote college partnerships with industry, eligible public or not-for-profit partners
- co-funds with Canada Foundation for Innovation’s College Fund
- participation from private-sector or not-for-profit partners is essential
Who is eligible
Eligible institutions include:
- universities and colleges
- research hospitals
- non-profit research institutes
This funding comes from two places: the Ontario government and the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
Each provides up to 40% of eligible costs.
The remaining 20% needs to come from private-sector, public or not-for-profit funding partners and/or your own research institution.
How to apply
Step 1: Notify your institution’s research office that you plan to apply.
Step 2: Prepare the documents for your application package according to program guidelines and application instructions.
Step 3: Your research office submits the complete application package to the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
Application forms and guidelines
Large Infrastructure Fund
The 2023 Large Infrastructure Fund competition is closed.
Small Infrastructure Fund
Complete the Mitigating Economic and Geopolitical Risk Checklist for the Small Infrastructure Fund, as applicable, as part of the application.
Attach the completed checklist to your application.
The 2023 College Fund Round 11 competition is closed.
Large Infrastructure Fund deadlines
The 2023 Large Infrastructure fund competition is closed. We are no longer accepting applications.
Visit this page for updates on future rounds of the program.
Small Infrastructure Fund deadlines
Submit your applications by:
- November 3, 2023
- March 1, 2024
College Fund deadline
The 2023 College Fund Round 11 competition is closed. We are no longer accepting applications.
Visit this page for updates on future rounds of the program in Spring 2024.
The ministry reviews both the Ontario Research Fund and corresponding Canada Foundation for Innovation application and looks for the:
- quality of the research and the researchers
- need for the infrastructure
- ability to attract highly qualified personnel and give them new high-level skills
- potential benefits to Ontario (economy, health, environment, quality of life, public policy, visibility in the global scientific community)
Information about projects supported through the Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure program can be found on the Ontario Open data website.
For more information, please contact ORFInfrastructure.Mailbox@ontario.ca