When you apply for or receive income support from the ODSP, you have both rights and responsibilities.

Your family has responsibilities, too.

Your caseworker will explain these rights and responsibilities to you when you apply for income support.

You and any adult members of your family will be asked to sign the Rights and Responsibilities form to confirm that your caseworker explained your rights and responsibilities to you.

Your rights

When you apply for or receive income support from ODSP, you have several rights.

An interview

You can ask to meet with us, either online or in person. You may bring someone with you when you meet with your caseworker or when you visit one of our offices. You can bring anyone you choose.

A decision in writing

We will write to tell you of any decisions we make and our reasons for making them.

A chance to have decisions reviewed

If you do not agree with a decision in your case, you can ask for an internal review of the decision.

Benefits that are available (if you are eligible)

In addition to your monthly ODSP income support, you and your family may be eligible for other benefits, including drug coverage and vision care, and help with work-related expenses.

Your responsibilities

When you apply for or receive income support from ODSP, you and any adult family members have several responsibilities.

Attend interviews

You will have to meet with ODSP staff from time to time, either online or in person.

Keep receipts and statements

You may need to show proof of income and expenses, such as receipts and statements for:

  • rent or mortgage payments
  • housing costs, such as hydro, water, and heating
  • income tax assessments and returns
  • pay stubs
  • child care costs
  • mandatory special necessities (for example, surgical or diabetic supplies)

Tell us about your income and other money received

You need to tell us about any income or other money that you or anyone in your family receives, or if there are any changes in your or your family’s income, for example:

  • income from employment or training
  • income from child or spousal support
  • income from Canada Pension Plan (CPP) benefits
  • income from Worker Safety and Insurance Benefits (WSIB) or Employment Insurance benefits
  • money received from family, including gifts
  • money received from a windfall such as an inheritance or lottery
  • student grants
  • money received from OSAP and other loans

You can report earnings online using MyBenefits or the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system.

You can also report your earnings by filling out the Employment/Training Income Report form you receive each month with your ODSP income support payment.

Tell us about your assets

You need to tell us about any assets that you or your family have. You also need to tell us if the value of an asset changes or if you or your family get new assets.

Assets include:

  • money in bank accounts
  • property or real estate that you own
  • trust funds
  • investments such as Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs), stocks, and bonds
  • cars and other vehicles

You can report assets and any changes to your local ODSP office online through MyBenefits, by phone or by mail.

When you submit any information to your local office, please include your nine-digit member ID. This number can be found on your monthly statement.

Report when something changes in your life and in your family

You need to tell us about any change in your or your family’s situation, for example:

  • you move, or have changes to your living arrangement
  • your housing costs change
  • you have any family changes (for example, someone moved out, finished school, had a new baby, or new person is living in the home)
  • you start working or attending post-secondary school
  • you or someone in your family are admitted to hospital or any other institution
  • you or someone in your family is being detained in custody
  • you have changes in your or your family’s income (for example, Employment Insurance (EI), received any cash gifts, CPP)
  • you or another family member is leaving Ontario for more than 30 days

You can report changes to your personal circumstances online through MyBenefits, or by phone or mail. Remember to provide your nine-digit member ID, which you can find on your monthly statement.

For more information, please contact your local ODSP office.

Try to find other sources of income

You must try to get any money or support that you or someone in your family may be entitled to or eligible for. Examples include:

  • Ontario Child Benefit
  • support from a sponsor or co-signer
  • CPP - Retirement or Disability benefits
  • EI benefits
  • WSIB benefits

If you do not make a reasonable effort to get this money or support, then your ODSP income support payments may be suspended. For example, applying for a benefit you may be eligible for, such as CPP Disability, is considered a reasonable effort.

Repay any overpayment

An overpayment is money that you received that you were not eligible to receive.

You are responsible for repaying an overpayment, even after you leave ODSP.

If you have an overpayment while you are receiving financial assistance from us, then we will make deductions from your monthly income support payments until you repay all the money that you owe.

Report honestly

You must honestly report the income, assets, financial situation and living arrangements of you and your family.

Your family’s responsibilities

All adult family members without a disability are required to take part in activities that help them improve employability.

Family members who are already working or in school full-time may not need to do other activities. Your caseworker will work with your family member to talk about what services and supports are available and decide on the right next steps to get them connected to services.

About employment services

Employment services can help your family member prepare for and find a job — even if they have never worked before or have been out of work for some time.

If they are already working or involved in an employment-related activity, they can also get help to keep their job or increase their earnings.

Depending on their interests and needs, employment services can:

  • place them in a paid job
  • work with them and their employer to make sure their job is a good fit
  • help resolve problems they may have with their employer or co-workers
  • help them to become self-employed

If a family member is referred to Ontario Works

An Ontario Works caseworker will work with your family member to develop a plan that is focused on improving their skills towards finding and keeping a job.

If your family member does not follow the steps in the plan, your family’s ODSP income support payment may be reduced.