Sport and recreation
Learn how we support physical, emotional and economic well-being through sport and recreation.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Participation in sport contributes to better health, provides role models for the pursuit of personal excellence, exemplifies the value of teamwork and builds community pride. This is why we champion participation in sport and recreation activities across the province.
We also work collaboratively with the sport and recreation sector to promote, support, and increase opportunities for all Ontarians to participate in sport and recreation, from playground to podium.
How we support sport activities
- encourage Ontarians of all abilities to participate in sport
- recognize and support Provincial/Multi-Sport Organizations to oversee delivery of fair and safe participation in amateur sport
- enable Ontario athletes to achieve podium finishes at national and international levels
- advocate Ontario’s sport priorities at federal-provincial/territorial forums
- make strategic investments in the hosting of international amateur sporting events
- provide support to volunteers, coaches, officials and organizations to enable athletes to train and compete at increasingly high levels of competition
- deliver an Ontario Games program, including the Ontario Winter/Summer Games, Ontario 55+ Winter/Summer Games and Ontario Parasport Games
- deliver the provincial sport recognition program
How we support recreation activities
- support targeted after school programming that increases opportunities for physical activity for children and youth in priority neighbourhoods
- engage Indigenous communities in sport, recreation and physical activity
- support for sport and recreation programs that benefit people with disabilities
- work across governments at the federal-provincial/territorial level to advocate and coordinate support for recreation and physical activity opportunities