Need a job this summer?

The Ontario government — and its partners — offers many programs to help students find summer jobs. You need to apply for most programs. In some cases, the government can connect you to people who can help you with your job search.

The deadlines and what you need to apply depend on the program. Click on the link for each program for more detailed information.

Not a student?

Learn about government job funds, programs and online tools available to help people under 30 build skills, find a job or start businesses all year round.

Get help finding a job

Youth Job Connection Summer

If you’re a high school student aged 15 to 18, who faces challenges such as poverty, homelessness, a disability or mental health issue, you can get a summer job with:

  • paid training
  • help returning to school when the job ends

Find out about part-time afterschool job opportunities, too.

Start your own business

Summer Company

Summer Company provides students with hands on business training, mentoring and awards of up to $3,000 to start and run their own summer businesses.

Who is eligible: Students: 15-29 years old, returning to school in the fall.

Work with the Ontario government

Stewardship Youth Ranger Program

If you were born in 2007, you could apply to be a Stewardship Youth Ranger and work on local natural resource management projects for 8 weeks this summer.

Who is eligible: Students born in 2007.

Note: Each team also requires a team lead, who may be any age and may or may not be a student.

Summer Employment Opportunities

Every year, the OPS, provincial agencies and community groups provide up to 5,000 students with jobs across the province. These jobs help Ontario students with limited work experience develop transferable skills, support their career goals and learn more about the OPS.

Summer Employment Opportunities are full-time, temporary positions ranging from 7-18 weeks between May and September. We offer a wide variety of student jobs in diverse career fields.

Who is eligible:

  1. Student Status*
    All summer jobs require you to have a "student" status. A student is defined as someone enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary institution (currently or for the fall semester) or has graduated within the past six months. If you graduated in December, you could apply for and start a summer student position in the Ontario Public Service up until June of the following year.
  2. Age*
    You must be a minimum of 15 years of age. Certain positions require you to be at least 18 years old. There is no maximum age limit for applying to summer student positions. You must meet the age requirements by the first day of employment.
  3. Residency in Ontario
    You must be living in the province of Ontario during the term of employment.
  4. Work status - eligibility to work in Canada
    You must be legally entitled to work in Canada. You are also required to have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) upon being hired. If you do not have a valid SIN and would like to obtain one, review the Government of Canada website (opens in a new tab).

*You are required to indicate your student status and age in the online application form.

Indigenous students and youth

Indigenous Youth Work Exchange Program

If you self-identify as Indigenous you can apply for an 8-week summer job for up to 3 consecutive summers, offered through the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry in partnership with Indigenous communities and organizations.

Who is eligible: Indigenous students who are a minimum of 15 years of age.

Law students

Articling and Summer Law Student Programs

Law students can apply to work for the Ontario government — as either a summer law student or an articling student. If you are experienced with Aboriginal communities or have an interest in Aboriginal law, you can also apply to work specifically in this field as part of the Aboriginal Summer law program.

Who is eligible: The Summer Law Student Program is open to first and second year students enrolled in a law school. To be eligible for the articling program, candidates must have either completed law school at the start of the articling period or have received a certificate of qualification from the National Committee of Accreditation.