Approval of the Goldcorp Musselwhite Mine Main Power Supply Project Environmental Assessment
The ministry’s approval of an environmental assessment for a project to install and operate up to 20 megawatts of diesel-generated electrical capacity at the Musselwhite Mine.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Notice of approval
Proponent: Goldcorp Canada Limited
Environmental assessment (EA) file number: EA-02-03-03
Take notice that the period for requiring a hearing, provided for in the Notice of Completion of the Review for the above-noted undertaking, expired on June 4, 2010.
I received no requests for a hearing by the Environmental Review Tribunal before the expiration date.
Having considered the purpose of the Environmental Assessment Act, the approved terms of reference, the environmental assessment, the ministry review of the environmental assessment and submissions received, I hereby give approval to proceed with the undertaking, subject to conditions set out below.
My reasons for giving approval are:
- On the basis of the proponent’s environmental assessment and the ministry review, the proponent’s conclusion that, on balance, the advantages of this undertaking outweigh its disadvantages appears to be valid.
- The proponent has demonstrated that the environmental effects of implementing the preferred alternative can be appropriately prevented, changed, mitigated or remedied.
- On the basis of the proponent’s environmental assessment, the ministry review and the conditions of approval, the construction, operation and maintenance of the undertaking will be consistent with the purpose of the Environmental Assessment Act (section 2).
- The Government Review Team has indicated that there are no outstanding concerns that cannot be addressed through conditions of approval. The public review of the environmental assessment did not identify any outstanding concerns.
The approval is subject to the following conditions:
For the purposes of these Conditions
- means the Director of the Environmental Assessment and Approvals Branch
- means the Environmental Assessment and Approvals Branch of the Ministry of the Environment
- environmental assessment
- means the document titled Goldcorp Musselwhite Mine Individual Environmental Assessment for the Main Power Supply, dated December 2009
- means the Ministry of the Environment
- means the Public Liaison Committee
- means compliance monitoring program
- means Goldcorp Canada Limited
- Regional Director
- means the Director of the ministry’s Northern Regional Office
- means the Goldcorp Musselwhite Mine located approximately 480 kilometres northwest of Thunder Bay, Ontario
2. General requirements
- The proponent shall comply with the provisions in the environmental assessment which are hereby incorporated in this approval by reference except as provided in these conditions and as provided in any other approval or permit that may be issued for the site.
- These conditions do not prevent more restrictive conditions being imposed under other statutes.
3. Public record
- Where a document is required for the public record, the proponent shall provide two copies of the document to the Director: a copy for filing within the specific public record file maintained for the undertaking and a copy for staff use.
- Additional copies of such documents will be provided by the proponent for public access to the:
- Regional Director (as required)
- Clerk of the Township of Pickle Lake (as required)
- The EAAB file number EA-02-03-03 shall be quoted on the document.
- These documents may also be provided through other means as considered appropriate by the proponent.
4. Compliance monitoring program
- The proponent shall prepare and submit to the Director for the public record, an environmental assessment compliance monitoring program.
- The program shall be submitted one year from the date of approval of the undertaking, or 60 days before the commencement of implementation, whichever is earlier.
- The program shall be prepared for the monitoring of the proponent’s fulfillment of the provisions of the environmental assessment for mitigation measures, public consultation, and additional studies and work to be carried out, and of all other commitments made during the preparation of the environmental assessment and the subsequent review of the environmental assessment for mitigation measures, public consultation, and additional studies and work to be carried out.
- The program must contain an implementation schedule.
- A statement must accompany the program when submitted to the Director, indicating that the program is intended to fulfill this condition.
- The program, as it may be amended by the Director, must be carried out by the proponent.
- The proponent shall make the documentation available to the ministry or its designate upon request in a timely manner when so requested by the ministry during an on-site inspection, audit, or response to a pollution incident report or when information concerning compliance is requested by the ministry.
5. Compliance reporting
- The proponent shall prepare an annual compliance report which describes compliance with the conditions of approval set out in this notice and which describes the results of the proponent’s environmental assessment compliance monitoring program.
- The annual compliance report shall be submitted to the Director for placement on the public record, with the first report being due no later than one year following the submission date of the program, and shall cover all activities of the previous calendar year.
- The proponent shall submit annual compliance reports until all conditions are satisfied.
- When all conditions have been satisfied, the proponent shall indicate in the annual compliance report that this is its final submission.
- The proponent shall retain either on site or in another location approved by the Director, copies of the annual compliance reports for each reporting year and any associated documentation of compliance monitoring activities.
- The proponent shall make the documentation available to the ministry or its designate upon request in a timely manner when so requested by the ministry during an on-site inspection, audit, or in response to a pollution incident report or when information concerning compliance is requested by the ministry.
6. Complaint protocol
- The proponent shall prepare and develop a protocol on how it will deal with and respond to inquiries and complaints received during the construction and operation of any of the 11 additional diesel generators.
- The proponent shall submit the protocol described in Condition 6.1 to the Director for placement in the public record within on year of the date of approval of the undertaking.
- A statement must accompany the protocol described in Condition 6.1 when submitted to the Director indicating that the protocol is intended to fulfill this condition.
Dated the 1st day of November, 2010 at Toronto.
Original signed by
Minister of the Environment
77 Wellesley Street West, 11th floor, Ferguson Block