Ukrainians coming to Ontario will receive support from:

  • the Canadian government
  • the Ontario government
  • business and community organizations

We are working hard to make sure people arriving have access to programs and services they’ll need to continue their lives in Ontario.

We’ll add more information to this page as the situation changes.

Immigrating from Ukraine

If you wish to come to Canada or have arrived in Canada after fleeing the conflict in Ukraine, you can contact the Government of Canada for information about:

  • how Ukrainian nationals and their family members can apply for emergency travel, immigrate, or extend their stay in Canada
  • how Canadian citizens and residents can return to Canada or bring family members to Canada

Resources and supports for Ukrainian newcomers

If you are new to Ontario, you can get settlement and orientation services to help you get settled. You can find information about, and get access to:

  • health care, housing and education
  • language training
  • employment supports

Get help with the immigration process

Visit the Government of Canada website to find information on immigration processes, apply for a permanent resident card or Canadian citizenship and find out about how to start your life in Canada.

Find local providers that deliver free federal supports and services to newcomers.

Getting settled in Ontario

Here is a collection of resources to help you get settled in Ontario.

Emergency income supports

Ukrainians in Ontario under the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel are eligible to apply for Emergency Assistance which provides temporary financial support for basic needs and shelter in crisis situations.

If you do not have enough money for things like food and housing, you may qualify for Emergency Assistance.

To apply:

Health care

Ukrainians in Ontario under the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET) are eligible for coverage under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). The province pays for medically-necessary health services covered by OHIP.

Learn how to apply for OHIP, including what documents are needed, or call ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 (TTY: 1-800-387-5559).

The Ontario Drug Benefit Program helps cover the cost of about 5,000 prescription drugs. Learn how to get help paying for prescription drugs.

If you have a long-term physical disability, you can get help paying for equipment and supplies through the Assistive Devices Program.


Elementary or secondary school students who have been approved to come to or remain in Canada for humanitarian reasons can attend publicly funded schools without paying fees. This includes children who are in Ontario under the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel.

Learn more about enrolling your children in school.

College and university students

International Student Connect provides information online and in-person to support international students in Ontario.

Child care

If you are a parent or guardian interested in accessing child care in Ontario, you can contact a child care operator in your area to get more details.

For eligible families, the cost of licensed child care may be supported through fee subsidy. Contact the child care service system manager in your area for more information about fee subsidy.

Employment supports

We are working to provide targeted services to help Ukrainian newcomers connect with employers in the community.

If you need help finding employment in Ontario, or if you are an employer interested in hiring a Ukrainian newcomer, call 1-888-562-4769 to be referred to an agency that can help you.

Employment Ontario

Employment Ontario can help you find work or training. You can make a free appointment to speak with an employment counsellor that can help you:

  • find grants and other services to find work
  • find training to build your skills and start a new career
  • find a job
  • prepare for an interview
  • develop career goals
  • start a job when the time is right

Ontario Job Bank

The Ontario Job Bank is an employment service for people looking for a job and employers looking for workers. If you are looking for a job, you can use the job bank to search for jobs near you.

Employers who wish to support Ukrainians with offers of employment can register on Job Bank’s Jobs for Ukraine webpage.

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) selects immigration candidates who best meet Ontario’s labour market needs.

Ukrainian applicants who are invited to apply based on established program criteria will benefit from expedited processing. If your application is approved, you will receive a nomination more quickly.

How Ontarians can help

If you want to provide support to the Ukrainian humanitarian efforts, you can make financial or in-kind donations through the: