Fisheries Management Zone 8 (FMZ 8)
Information about fishing and how fish resources are managed in Fisheries Management Zone 8 (Cochrane, Timmins, Kirkland Lake).
On this page Skip this page navigation
News and updates
Fisheries management planning is not currently underway for this zone. Contact your local ministry district office for more information.
- find specific rules for fishing in FMZ 8
- use the Fish on-Line mapping tool
- find a complete set of fishing rules in the Ontario Fishing Regulations Summary
About this zone
FMZ 8 is located in northeast Ontario. This zone has:
- large river systems draining into the Arctic watershed
- relatively small, shallow lakes
- prominent fisheries for walleye, northern pike, brook trout, aurora trout
- brook trout and lake trout stocked into many lakes
FMZ 8 is one of 20 fisheries management zones in the province.
- the Quebec border between Lake Timiskaming and James Bay forms the eastern boundary
- stretches north to James Bay’s southern coast
- bounded by FMZ 3 to the northeast, FMZ 7 to the west and FMZs 10, 11 and 12 to the south
- cities include Cochrane, Hearst, Timmins, Kirkland Lake, Kapuskasing, Gogama
Legal boundary map and detail maps
Legal boundary map for FMZ 8 and detail maps 1 - 5.1 (PDF)
Monitoring reports and management plans
None at this time.
Zone advisory council
This fisheries management zone does not have an advisory council yet.
General fishing rules
Updated: November 30, 2022
Published: July 17, 2014