Learn how you can receive government-funded physiotherapy services to help you recover from illness, surgery or injury. If you are a senior, you may benefit from exercise classes designed to keep you healthy, active and independent.
Get government-funded physiotherapy
Step 1: find out if the government will pay for your treatment
The information below summarizes who qualifies for government-funded physiotherapy and who to contact to get started. If you have a valid OHIP card, you are eligible if you:
- are a long-term care resident who is age 18 or older
- have been discharged as an inpatient of a hospital after an overnight stay (within the last 12 months) and require physiotherapy for the condition, illness or injury for which you were hospitalized: contact your doctor or nurse practitioner
- receive income from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program (OHIP card not required): contact your doctor or nurse practitioner
- are 65 or older: contact your doctor or nurse practitioner
- are 19 or under: contact your doctor or nurse practitioner
- are 65 or older and require in-home physiotherapy (whether in your own home or a retirement home): contact a Home and Community Care Support Services organization
- by phone: 310-2222 (no area code required)
- find your local Home and Community Care Support Services organization
- are living in a long-term care home: Contact the doctor or nurse practitioner on staff. As part of your plan of care in your long-term care home, the doctor or nurse will refer you to a registered physiotherapist. The physiotherapist will decide if you need physiotherapy.
If you are not listed above, the government will not cover your physiotherapy.
Step 2: get a referral
If you need physiotherapy for medical reasons, your contact will give you a referral. You need this referral to access services.
Step 3: find a clinic offering government-funded physiotherapy services
Your contact in Step 1 will help you find a local clinic or arrange for services in your home or long-term care facility.
You can also find a government-funded physiotherapy clinic using the Ministry of Health’s clinic directory.
Learn more about exercise and falls prevention classes in your community through the Health Connect Ontario or by calling INFOline at 1-888-910-1999.
Once you’ve found a clinic, give the physiotherapist your referral. You will be assessed to determine ifyou qualify for government-funded physiotherapy services. Your referral may only be used at one clinic.
If you are not eligible for government-funded physiotherapy, you can pay for physiotherapy services on your own or get coverage through private or workplace insurance.