Learn how you can receive government-funded physiotherapy services to help you recover from illness, surgery or injury. If you are a senior, you may benefit from exercise classes designed to keep you healthy, active and independent.
Get government-funded physiotherapy
Step 1: find out if the government will pay for your treatment
The information below summarizes who qualifies for government-funded physiotherapy and who to contact to get started. If you have a valid OHIP card, you are eligible if you:
- are a long-term care resident who is age 18 or older
- have been discharged as an inpatient of a hospital after an overnight stay (within the last 12 months) and require physiotherapy for the condition, illness or injury for which you were hospitalized: contact your doctor or nurse practitioner
- receive income from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program (OHIP card not required): contact your doctor or nurse practitioner
- are 65 or older: contact your doctor or nurse practitioner
- are 19 or under: contact your doctor or nurse practitioner
- are 65 or older and require in-home physiotherapy (whether in your own home or a retirement home): contact a Home and Community Care Support Services organization
- by phone: 310-2222 (no area code required)
- in person: enter your postal code to find your local Home and Community Care Support Services organization
- are living in a long-term care home: Contact the doctor or nurse practitioner on staff. As part of your plan of care in your long-term care home, the doctor or nurse will refer you to a registered physiotherapist. The physiotherapist will decide if you need physiotherapy.
If you are not listed above, the government will not cover your physiotherapy.
Step 2: get a referral
If you need physiotherapy for medical reasons, your contact will give you a referral. You need this referral to access services.
Step 3: find a clinic offering government-funded physiotherapy services
Your contact in Step 1 will help you find a local clinic or arrange for services in your home or long-term care facility.
You can also find a government-funded physiotherapy clinic using the Ministry of Health’s clinic directory.
Once you’ve found a clinic, give the physiotherapist your referral. You will be assessed to determine ifyou qualify for government-funded physiotherapy services. Your referral may only be used at one clinic.
If you are not eligible for government-funded physiotherapy, you can pay for physiotherapy services on your own or get coverage through private or workplace insurance.