Get government-funded physiotherapy

Step 1: find out if the government will pay for your treatment

The information below summarizes who qualifies for government-funded physiotherapy and who to contact to get started. If you have a valid  Ontario health card, you are eligible if you:

  • are a long-term care resident who is age 18 or older
  • have been discharged as an inpatient of a hospital after an overnight stay or have had an outpatient/day surgery procedure (within the last 12 months) and require physiotherapy for the condition, illness or injury for which you were hospitalized
  • receive income from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program (OHIP card not required): 
  • are  65 or older:  
  • are  19 or under:  
  • are  65 or older and require in-home physiotherapy (whether in your own home or a retirement home): contact a Home and Community Care Support Services organization
  • are living in a long-term care home: Contact the doctor or nurse practitioner on staff. As part of your plan of care in your long-term care home, the doctor or nurse will refer you to a registered physiotherapist. The physiotherapist will decide if you need physiotherapy.

If your situation is not listed above, the government will not cover your physiotherapy.

Step 2:  find a clinic offering government-funded physiotherapy services

A list of government-funded physiotherapy clinics is available at clinic directory.

Learn more about exercise and falls prevention classes in your community through the Health Connect Ontario or by calling INFOline at 1-888-910-1999.

Once you’ve found a clinic,  you will be assessed to determine if you qualify for government-funded physiotherapy services.

If you are not eligible for government-funded physiotherapy, you can pay for physiotherapy services on your own or get coverage through private or workplace insurance.

Find a physiotherapy clinic