Open for Business
We're helping to grow the economy and create good jobs. Find the resources you need to do business, work and invest in Ontario.
Jobs and employment
- Get support, information and advice to run your small business
- Small Business Enterprise Centre locations
- Automotive Sector Plan
Export and investment services
- Exporting: Take your business global
- Investment Services, a one-stop source for information to increase business growth
- International trade and investment offices
Calendar of trade programs and events
Information about incoming buyers missions, exporter education seminars and workshops for Ontario businesses looking to export outside Canada.
What we do
- Support job creation, innovation and economic growth for all Ontarians.
- Deliver a range of programs, services and tools to help businesses innovate and compete in today’s fast-changing global economy.
- Help make investing in Ontario more attractive for businesses, while protecting the public interest.
- Support the growth of small and medium-sized businesses so they can connect with new export markets and customers.
- Manage a network of international trade and investment offices in key markets around the world.
- Organize international business missions to increase export and investment opportunities for Ontario’s companies.
- Ensure Ontario’s interests are well-represented in all trade matters and negotiations (including CUSMA, CPTPP and CETA) and drive strategic investment and trade analysis.
- Drive internal trade by working bilaterally with other provinces and territories and by implementing the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA).
- Develop and implement marketing strategies and tactics that favourably position the province’s key economic strengths and promote Ontario as the best place to invest, work, live and succeed.
- Develop strategies for priority industries and sectors in Ontario.
- Build strategic partnerships with leading companies and stakeholders within Ontario’s economy.
- Foster scientific discovery and commercialization of new technologies and products that can be marketed to the world.
- Harness Ontario’s talented workforce, entrepreneurial spirit and highly developed industry clusters.
Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade
777 Bay Street, 18th floor
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2N4
Minister, media and news
Agencies, boards and commissions
The ministry is affiliated with the following independent agencies:
The ministry administers the following legislation:
- Ministry of Economic Development and Trade Act, 1990
- Development Corporations Act, 1990
- Modernizing Ontario for People and Businesses Act, 2020
- Attracting Investment and Creating Jobs Act, 2012
- Water Opportunities Act, 2010
- Supporting Local Restaurants Act, 2020
- Invest Ontario Act, 2021
- Convenience Store Week Act, 2021
- Innovation Centre Governance Act, 2020
- Ontario Capital Growth Corporation Act, 2008
- Community Small Business Investment Funds Act, 1992
Updated: April 28, 2023
Published: May 25, 2016