Early years and child care
Elementary and secondary school
- School year calendar
- Full-day kindergarten
- Student assessment and report cards
- Online learning
- Student success programs for secondary students
- Special education
- Ontario’s strategy for international education
- Education and training after high school
- Safe and accepting schools
- Helping to create healthy schools
- French in English-Language schools
- Indigenous education
Information on professional development and teaching tools.
What we do
- Develop policy and programs to support child care and early years programs for children and families.
- Make sure child care settings are safe and follow the law by funding, licensing and inspecting licensed child care providers.
- Fund and provide guidelines for the delivery of core services at EarlyON child and family centres.
- Fund and oversee publicly funded elementary and secondary school education.
- Develop and publish curriculum documents and teaching resources for kindergarten to Grade 12.
- Set provincial standards and guidelines for all assessment, evaluation and reporting for all students who attend public or private schools in Ontario.
- Oversee and set policies for the Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO), which administers provincial assessments to help improve student learning in reading, writing and math.
- Set requirements for student diplomas and certificates.
- Provide funding to build new schools and expand, retrofit or repair existing schools.
- Operate schools for blind, deaf and deafblind students.
- Register and inspect private schools that offer credits toward an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
Agencies, boards and commissions
The ministry is affiliated with the following independent agencies:
The ministry administers the following legislation:
- Child Care and Early Years Act
- Early Childhood Educators Act
- Education Act
- Education Quality and Accountability Office Act
- Ministry of Community and Social Services Act
- Ontario College of Teachers Act
- Ontario Educational Communications Authority Act
- Ontario French-language Educational Communications Authority Act
- Ontario Institute for Studies in Education Repeal Act
- Ontario School Trustees’ Council Act
- Ottawa-Carleton French-Language School Board Transferred Employees Act
- Provincial Schools Authority Act
- Ryan’s Law (Ensuring Asthma Friendly Schools)
- Sabrina’s Law
- School Boards Collective Bargaining Act
- School Trust Conveyances Act
- Teachers’ Pension Act
- Teaching Profession Act
Updated: November 14, 2023
Published: April 24, 2018