When you register your vehicle at a ServiceOntario centre you will get a vehicle permit, licence plate and sometimes a licence plate sticker. You need to renew your licence plate or sticker each year. Your vehicle permit needs to be updated within 6 days of a change in your address or vehicle information.

Buying a new vehicle

If you are buying a new vehicle from a dealership, the vehicle registration will usually be completed by the dealer. If it is not, you will have to register your vehicle at a ServiceOntario centre.

This Application for Vehicle Registration form (SR-LV-006) can be completed before visiting a ServiceOntario.

Buying a used vehicle

If you are buying a used vehicle, you will need to register the vehicle within 6 days of the sale at a ServiceOntario centre.

Temporary licence plate sticker

A temporary licence plate sticker lets you drive your vehicle to a garage (for safety standards certificate) to complete the requirements for a licence plate sticker and for other necessary short-term transportation purposes.

Find out if you’re eligible for a 10-day temporary licence plate sticker

How to register your vehicle

To register a vehicle and get a permit and licence plate, you need:

  • your Ontario driver’s licence or your registrant identification number (RIN), if you do not have a driver’s licence
  • proof of identity (legal name, date of birth and signature)
  • the completed used vehicle information package (only when registering a passenger vehicle, light commercial vehicle, self-propelled motor home or motorcycle)
  • proof of purchase (for example, a receipt from the seller or a bill of sale from a used vehicle information package)
  • proof of insurance from an insurance provider licensed in Ontario
  • the original vehicle permit from seller with completed transfer portion
  • the plate portion of the permit, if you already have a licence plate you would like to attach to the vehicle

To ensure your vehicle is fit for the road, you will need a:

Register a vehicle at a ServiceOntario centre

Find a ServiceOntario centre to register a vehicle

You may be able to book an appointment ahead of your visit.

Registering a vehicle to a business

The first time you register a vehicle to a business or organization you must get a registrant identification number (RIN) at a ServiceOntario centre. To get a RIN or change the company name and/or address on an existing RIN you will need to provide the following:

  • A "Proof of Business Address – Obtaining/Amending a Registrant Identification Number (RIN)” form available at ServiceOntario centres or a Notarized Letter of Authorization completed by someone with the authority to bind the organization, such as an owner or director
  • One identification document for the business (for example articles of amendment or incorporation, or a letter of good standing)
  • Two documents that show proof of business address (for example a copy of a utility bill or insurance pink slip). These can be hard copies or digital.

This Application for Vehicle Registration form (SR-LV-006) can be completed before visiting a ServiceOntario.

Cost and delivery


This Application for Vehicle Registration form (SR-LV-006) can be completed before visiting a ServiceOntario.

Vehicle permit (all vehicles): $32

Licence plate (new and replacement), with permit: $59

See below for fees for other type of vehicles

Retail sales tax for the sale of the vehicle will be collected when you register.

Any outstanding fines in the licence plate holder’s name will be applied in addition to the above prices.


Visa, Mastercard, debit, cash, certified cheque


Vehicle permits and licence plates are issued immediately. Personalized licence plates will be mailed to the address you provide.

Vehicle identification number (VIN)

The vehicle identification number is a unique number set by the manufacturer of the vehicle and is usually located on the dashboard of the vehicle. The vehicle identification number is also printed on your vehicle permit and is required when you renew your licence plate online.

If the vehicle identification number on your vehicle permit does not match the number on your dashboard, you must bring the following documents to a ServiceOntario centre:

This Application for Vehicle Registration form (SR-LV-006) can be completed before visiting a ServiceOntario.

  • the vehicle permit – the vehicle portion of the permit is required
  • your Canada inter-province motor vehicle liability insurance card (or “pink card”), and
  • one of the documents listed below:
    • original vehicle manufacturer’s warranty
    • copy of manufacturer’s invoice
    • original or copy of the bill/certificate of sale from the original selling dealer
    • letter from an authorized dealer for your make of vehicle verifying the correct vehicle registration number of the vehicle
    • copy of certificate of title/certificate of origin
    • copy of new vehicle information statement
    • written confirmation from municipal or provincial police verifying that the vehicle registration number was checked through the Canadian police information centre
    • original safety standards certificate, only if the last 6 characters of the vehicle identification number are correct
    • sworn affidavit by the vehicle owner explaining the vehicle identification number error

Lost, stolen or damaged vehicle permit

To replace a lost, stolen or damaged vehicle permit, visit a ServiceOntario centre.

Cost: $32

Bring the following with you:

  • identification (e.g. driver’s licence, passport, Ontario Photo Card, etc.)
  • one of the following documents:
    • the licence plate number
    • the vehicle identification number (VIN)

You must be the owner of the vehicle or have a Letter of Authorization from the vehicle owner.

This Application for Vehicle Registration form (SR-LV-006) can be completed before visiting a ServiceOntario.

Replacing a lost, stolen or damaged licence plate: $59

Replacing a lost, stolen or damaged licence plate sticker: $7

Use your current plates

You can attach licence plates that you currently have to a new or used vehicle.

This Application for Vehicle Registration form (SR-LV-006) can be completed before visiting a ServiceOntario.

To do this, you will need to bring the plate ownership portion of your vehicle permit when you register your vehicle at a ServiceOntario centre and pay an applicable fee.

If your vehicle is 20 years or older

If the vehicle is 20 year old or older, you may require an appraisal. Please contact the Ministry of Finance for more information.

Special permit

If you don’t plan to register your vehicle but need to drive in Ontario temporarily, you may be eligible to get a 10-day special permit at a ServiceOntario centre.

Find out if you can apply for a special permit

Insurance coverage

By law, you must insure a vehicle if you plan to drive it in Ontario. You must have this insurance before you can:

  • attach licence plates to a vehicle
  • renew your registration
  • buy a temporary (trip) permit.

In Ontario, you buy this insurance from a private insurance company. You will receive a pink insurance card from your insurance company. This card shows proof of insurance for the vehicle you are driving. When driving your own or someone else’s vehicle in Ontario, you must have the pink insurance card with you at all times. If you are stopped by a police officer while driving, you must show your pink insurance card when asked. If you do not, you can be fined up to $400.

Fees for other types of vehicles

Licence plate (with permit)

Type of vehicleFee
Commercial vehicle (gross weight 3,000 kg and less)$59
Trailer: original registration$72
Trailer: replacement plate and permit$48
Motorized snow vehicle: original registration (includes validation fee)$33
Motorized snow vehicle: replacement decals and permit$10
Off-road vehicle: original registration$38
Off-road vehicle: replacement plate and permit$20

Accepted identity documents

Learn more about acceptable identity documents to register a vehicle.