While the drivers are not expected to be able to service a disabled braking system, you should be knowledgeable enough to identify if the brakes are not performing properly.
- Hydraulic brakes (with power assist):
- With the engine stopped, pump the brake pedal several times to eliminate power assist.
- Apply brakes moderately.
- Start the engine (the pedal should drop slightly and stop).
- If the pedal continues to drop or does not drop (no power assist) stop the engine. The vehicle should be taken out of service and the system inspected professionally.
- Hydraulic brakes (without power assist):
- Apply brakes moderately and hold.
- If the pedal shows a steady drop, the vehicle should be taken out of service and the system inspected professionally.
Updated: August 25, 2022
Published: January 18, 2021