There are two types of offset backing: driver side where you offset back to the left; and passenger side where you offset back to the right.
- Drive straight forward until the vehicle is in a straight line.
- Turn the wheel all the way to the left angling the trailer toward the destination.
- Back up while watching the right mirror until the outside edge of the tractor tires lines up with the middle of the landing gear.
- Stop and turn the wheel to the right as far as possible.
- Back up until the tractor is straight and in line with the trailer.
- Straighten the wheels. Look out both mirrors while slowly backing toward the destination.
Updated: August 25, 2022
Published: January 18, 2021