Renew both your health card and driver’s licence online
To renew online, you will need both a valid health card and a driver’s licence. When you’re done, you must print and carry your temporary document or download and save the temporary document to print it later.
On this page Skip this page navigation
What you need to know
It is important to renew your health card and driver’s licence to obey the law and confirm that you can access the health care system.
We will verify your information against the in formation we have on file. If we cannot confirm your online renewal eligibility, you may not be able to renew online.
Online renewal eligibility
To use this online service, you must have:
- a photo health card that will expire within 90 days, or expired on or after December 1, 2019, and be eligible for OHIP coverage
- a driver’s licence that isn’t suspended, cancelled, or expired
- Note: licences that expired during the COVID extension (on or after March 1, 2020) are not expired
- a driver’s licence that does not require a test
- an up-to-date photo and signature on your driver’s licence and health card (check your renewal notice to see if you have to renew in person)
- an up-to-date address with ServiceOntario for both your health card and driver’s licence:
- if your address has changed you will not be able to renew online until you have lived at your new address for at least 90 days
- if you haven’t updated your address, you can update your address online now
If you are between 75 and 80, you have to renew your health card in-person at your nearest ServiceOntario centre to take a new photo. If you are 80 or older, you can also renew your health card by mail. Learn more about health card and driver’s licence renewals for seniors over 80.
Do you not meet the requirements for online renewal? Visit your nearest ServiceOntario to renew both your cards in-person.
Before you renew, make sure you have:
- your most recent health card
- your current driver’s licence
- a valid credit card (Visa, Mastercard) or Interac® Online (if renewing your Driver’s Licence)
- a printer to download and print your temporary documents
Cost and delivery
Health card - $0
Driver’s licence - $90
Driver’s licence fees may vary if:
- you are over 76 years of age
- the expiry date on your driver’s licence is changing to match the expiry date on your health card
Your health card and driver’s licence will be mailed separately within 4 to 6 weeks.
You can pay with a Visa, Mastercard, or Interac® Online for your Driver’s Licence
Other ways to renew
If you are not eligible to renew your health card online, you can renew in person at your nearest ServiceOntario centre.
You may still be able to renew your driver’s licence online even if you are not eligible to renew your health card online.
If you are not eligible to renew online, you can renew your driver’s licence in person at your nearest ServiceOntario centre.
Help us improve this service
We developed this service to give you a convenient and secure way to renew your health card and driver’s licence online.
This service will continue to evolve and expand so more people can renew online.
Help us improve this service. After you’ve used the online renewal, please tell us what you think.