Bulletin 11257 — Kaplan Board of Arbitration Award — Year 4 (2020–2021) Physician Compensation Increases — UAP
Keeping Health Care Providers informed of payment, policy or program changes
To: Underserviced Area Programs (UAP) Physicians
Published by: Negotiations Branch, Ministry of Health
Date Issued: April 24, 2020
The Ministry of Health (ministry) and the Ontario Medical Association (OMA) have been working together to implement the compensation adjustments on eligible physician payments outlined in Section 21(a) of the Binding Arbitration Framework (BAF) in accordance with the 2019 Kaplan Board of Arbitration Award (Award).
Increases to physician compensation have been implemented, in part, through a Health Insurance Act regulation change effective April 1, 2020.
Year 4 (2020-2021) of the Award provides for a permanent 3.5446% compensation increase on physician payments effective April 1, 2020. The distribution of the total compensation increase across physician specialties is subject to the relativity adjustments agreed to between the ministry and the OMA in the Interim Relativity Process Agreement dated November 7, 2017.
Effective April 1, 2020, the following payment elements in your funding agreement will be increased by the following rates and will be reflected in your April 2020 payment.
- Northern Rural Recruitment Retention Initiative-3.8208%
- Nursing Station Physician Outreach-Honorarium per day-5.0080%
- Nursing Station Physician Outreach-Stipend per day-5.0080%
- Nursing Station Physician Outreach-Telephone Back-up per Month-5.0080%
- Psychiatry Outreach-Honorarium-7.5602%
- Psychiatry Outreach - Travel Sessional-7.5602%
- Psychiatry Outreach-Sessional-7.5602%
- Visiting Specialist Clinic Program-Honorarium-7.5602%
- Visiting Specialist Clinic Program-Travel Sessional-7.5602%
- Visiting Specialist Clinic Program-Sessional-7.5602%
The Northern Physician Retention Initiative will be increased by 3.8208% effective April 1, 2020 and will be reflected on the June 2021 Remittance Advice (RA)
Also, effective April 1, 2020, the Fee Schedule Master (FSM) will be updated to reflect the increases to fee-for-service (FFS) codes as agreed to between the ministry and the OMA at the Medical Services Payment Committee (MCPS). Claims processed through the Medical Claims Payment System (MCPS) with a service date on or after April 1, 2020 will reflect these increases and will be reported on the May 2020 RA.
For further information regarding the determination of the relativity increase rates by physician specialty please contact your OMA representative.